We spend time styling spaces in our homes, aiming for a special look and feel that helps us relax, recharge and be ourselves: the bedroom, the living room, the garden… but it’s often the bathroom that gets overlooked.
Too often relegated to quick showers and cleaning teeth, the bathroom quickly becomes filled with containers and half-used products, the surfaces covered in knick-knacks and mismatched objects. Does this sound like your bathroom?
Well, what you should be aiming for is a room you want to linger in, relax and emerge feeling refreshed, recharged and pampered.
I have some simple suggestions that are very easy to achieve, using basic styling to add extra appeal to your bathroom. If you think your bathroom is unworthy of any attention, experiment with these three important steps and see the transformation for yourself.
When styling any room, you’re aiming to create an emotional response, a space people will want to spend time in.
- Clear the decks
- Get rid of all unnecessary knick-knacks, scrawny plants, cute pictures, stick-on hooks, mismatched towels, daggy window coverings, etc.
- Declutter all surfaces (the vanity top, around the bath, the window sills…)
- Store items like toothbrushes and creams out of sight.
- Clean every surface
- Nothing makes you want to get out of a bathroom faster than grime, stains and bad odours! So, elbow grease and environmentally friendly products at hand, do what it takes to scrub all corners, grooves and hard to reach surfaces.
- Air the room as often as possible and choose greenery like succulents and tropical plants that don’t need frequent watering, as the moist soil in the pot will also add to mouldy odours.
The bathroom is now a blank canvas and it already looks and feels better.
- Get busy styling
- Working with the elements of the room you cannot change (things like tile colours, vanity finish and tapware), proceed with your furnishing/styling based on creating a powerful first impression. Adding plush towels always makes a statement, so buy quality ones and use them – you deserve it!
- Same goes with hand-made soaps and quality shower products, buy them and use them; because they usually come with great labels and packaging, they also look good on display!
- Provide a useful and elegant wooden stool next to the bath: perfect for a good book, a candle (or that glass of wine) and include some organic elements like natural sea sponges, wooden brushes, bees-wax candles… but keep the styling sparse and leave plenty of free space on all surfaces.
- Finish up with easy to maintain window coverings and one, maybe two, luscious green plants.
To summarise you can take a look at this quick video from James Treble here.
And remember… when styling any room, you’re aiming to create an emotional response, resulting in a space that you and others will want to spend time in. Happy pampering!
Learn how to professionally style any property with our online course, Interior Design For Profit