Yes absolutely. There are renovation opportunities everywhere but whether you can make money from it in “any” market will depend on how knowledgeable you are as a professional property investor (to buy the right property at the right price in the first place) and how effective you are project managing the renovation from start to finish adding as much value at the least cost possible along the way. Renovation works in any market because renovation is essentially all about ‘adding value’.
Q: Can you still make money from renovating in today’s market ?
Q: I’ve heard that when it’s a soft / bad market, it’s too risky to renovate. Is that true?
Firstly you need to know that the property market is not one market. There are 2750 suburbs (or thereabouts) across Australia. Some suburbs can be booming while others are declining. Often the property market is referred to as 1 market but smart investors need to recognise that each individual suburb is a market unto itself and therefore will have its own unique circumstances. In Cherie’s experience, in tough economic times (like global financial crisis), its often the best time to do renovation deals. Fewer buyers in the market mean it’s easier to acquire properties at the right time or slightly below market value. In soft markets, the level of construction activity drops or halts therefore tradie’s tend to more readily available to work and at slightly more competitive rates. Also in soft markets, material suppliers are quieter making it easier to get your renovation materials for less. As long as you buy and sell in the same market (ie: buy low, sell low) it’s all balances out in the wash. You don’t ever want to be buying in a high market and selling in a low market. This is the beauty of property renovation in that its quick turnaround time typically means you’re buying and selling in the same market. One thing you will need to factor into the equation when selling your renovated property in a slow market is that it may take longer for you to sell so allow extra holding costs in your financial feasibility.
Q: How does our property courses and programs differ from other courses differ?
Are you an existing Renovating For Profit student or want to level-up your property profit skills? Renovating For Profit offers additional courses & products which include:
Cosmetic Renovations For Profit (CRFP): This is the ultimate Renovators Course & our mothership product for those who are absolutely serious about their property renovation, investor journey, & ultimately … freedom from your 9-5 job. More info on this course here.
- Corelogic RP Data Professional: Available only to CRFP students at a highly discounted rate, this is THE application for your property due diligence & research. Used by the Real Estate & Financial industry professionals, if you’re serious about your property profit, this app is a must. More info on this app here.
- Official Renovating For Profit Merchandise: Want the gear that Cherie, James & the Team use? Check out our online store here for exclusive offers from our official merchandise & pro tools, such as SteelBlue boots, Renovators Sign, Apparel and more!
Q: How does Interior Design For Profit differ from other Interior Design Courses?
We get this one a lot. Quite simply, while other courses will focus on turning you into an Interior Designer, this course wants to equip you with actionable Interior Design knowledge & skills that will increase the value of your property.
This course is also great for industry professionals – yes, that includes existing Interior Designers – who would like to increase their clients’ property value & communicate how & why certain features are important.
What are the technical requirements for being able to view & use the courses?
Please make sure your computer meets the following minimum requirements. Certain programs and tools may have additional requirements. Please view the respective overview page for those details.
For an optimal online course experience, we recommend:
• installing at least 2 browsers should you experience any hiccups with one browser. Example for Mac users, have Firefox & Safari installed and for Windows users, Firefox & IE 11.
• All browsers must have the latest Flash & Java versions installed & enabled. To recommend heading to whatismybrowser.com to verify what browser version and if you have these installed & enabled on your browser.
Supported Internet Browsers
· Mozilla® Firefox® (Latest version)
· Apple® Safari® Version 9.0 and later
· Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Version 11 and Microsoft® Edge
· Google® Chrome®* (Latest version)
· Renovating For Profit does not support Internet Explorer 9 and 10 and recommends that you upgrade to a supported browser.
· See here for detailed info on how to install Java® on supported browsers (such as Firefox).
* Google® has phased out support for Java in Chrome version 45 and later. Chrome version 45 and later is not supported for Interior Design For Profit’s Floorplanner & Moodboard apps.
· Adobe® Flash® v17 or higher is required. See here for detailed info on how to install Flash®.
· Adobe® Reader® v 11 for review & printing course PDF documents in PDF format
• Microsoft® Excel® required to use & view calculators. For full support, Excel® versions supported.
• Windows – Excel® 2010, Excel® 2013, Excel® 2016
• Mac OSX – Excel 2016 for Mac
- PC: Windows XP or higher with latest updates installed (note: Internet Explorer 8 is not supported).
- Mac: OS X 10.6 or higher with latest updates installed.
- Linux: Any recent distribution that has the supported browsers installed.
- iOS: Requires iOS 8.1 or later.
- Android: Requires Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or later.
Updated: February 23, 2017
Need help resetting your password?
You can reset your password via the Lost Password page or click the ‘Forgot your passowrd? Reset it’ link in the Login prompt.
- Click the ‘Reset it’ link under Login button.
- Enter an email address you have on your account
- Renovating For Profit will email a link to reset your password to the email address you provided.
- Go to the email account and follow the instructions in the message from us.
Note: The password reset link is valid only for a limited time.
Learn more if you’re not receiving Renovating For Profit emails, to confirm that your email settings are correct. If you’re unable to sign in after changing your password, clear your browser’s cookies and remove your saved passwords or try to sign in with a different browser.
If you’ve tried these solutions but continue experiencing issues, email [email protected] with the following details:
- An explanation of the issue.
- The browser and version you were using.
- The operating system and version on your computer.
- A screenshot of your issue.
After I enter my email and password, I’m redirected back to the home page without being logged in.
- Clear your browser cookies and cache. Doing this regularly ensures you are seeing the latest information on Interior Design For Profit at all times.
- If that doesn’t work, try logging in from an Incognito window.
- Enable third-party cookies, if you have them disabled.
- Try disabling some or all of your extensions.
- Try logging in from another web browser.
I'm not receiving emails.
- Check your email’s spam folder, junk folder, social tab and promotional tab. Email providers sometimes route emails from new sources to these folders.
- Make sure your primary email address is confirmed linked to your account by
- Add Renovating For Profit as a trusted email domain in your email’s address book.
- Check with your email provider to ensure emails from Renovating For Profit aren’t blocked.
- Check for third party filtering: If you use a company/corporate/business email address, there may be other services in use that are blocking the message. Usually your IT department or mail provider can confirm this and may need to whitelist @renovatingforprofit.com.au.
- Make sure the email associated with the account is the email address of an individual and not a distribution list nor a role-based email address.
- Note: A role account/alias is an account that isn’t associated with a particular person, but with an office, position, or task (ex: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.). To ensure you’re getting the most of Renovating For Profit, we recommend using a personal email address.
Still not receiving emails? Send us a message.
I'm not able to access the module videos.
Our courses contain fantastic interactive videos to further enhance your property profit expertise. When attempting to watch streaming video, on any website, it is not uncommon to encounter loading and/or playing issues. If the video is not loading, try the following steps to resolve the most common video loading issues.
- Refresh your browser.
- Quit your browser and re-open it.
- Log out and log back in to your account.
- Clear your browser’s cookies and cache. Be sure to restart your browser before trying again.
- Restart your computer.
- Check your browser version and update if outdated.
- Try a different browser (like Firefox)
- Turn off hardware acceleration (in Firefox or on Windows).
- Take a note of your browser extensions/firewall programs. Is there anything that could be interfering with the streaming of the videos? We recommend testing with an incognito window to troubleshoot.
- Install the latest flash drivers
- Install the latest java version and make sure this is enabled on your browser. This is especially important to be able to use the Floorplan & Moodboard apps in Interior Design For Profit.
If these fixes didn’t work, send us an email and we’ll do our best to help you further!
Something on the site isn't working. Whom do I contact?
You can send us a message. We’ll try our best to help you figure out what’s going on and to resolve the issue as soon as possible.